We are hiring a farm assistant for April 1!
Root Down Farm is a perennial and pasture based livestock operation located in Pescadero, California. We focus on humanely raising heritage breed chickens, turkeys, ducks and pigs through rotational grazing & foraging, while improving our soils and increasing biodiversity on the land. We see ourselves as stewards of the land and use the behaviors of our animals to create healthy ecosystems and in turn produce delicious meats.
Root Down Farm is beginning its fourth season and is looking for a motivated and committed part-time individual to join the team from February 1st through November 30th as we continue to build and grow our farm. The ideal candidate will have farming or ranching experience, be a clear communicator, able to lift 50 pounds, queer friendly and interested in working hard while learning all aspects of our humane pasture based livestock and orchard operation.
Responsibilities will include (but definitely not limited to):
· Daily observation, feeding, watering & caring of chicks in brooders
Daily observation, feeding, watering & caring of chickens, turkeys, ducks and pigs on pasture
· Daily & weekly moving of poultry and pigs (electric fence is your friend)
· Maintenance of automated watering, electric fences, chargers, feeders
· Weekly pick up of locally sourced feed
· Regular cleaning of brooders and coops
· Daily gopher trapping and seasonal orchard care
· Livestock processing (bagging, labeling, weighing) both on and off-farm
· Sales/marketing including working Farmers Markets and assisting with on-farm sales
· Assist with farm tours, workshops and other public events
Qualifications & Skills:
· Ability to work long days in different types of weather
Positive and Open attitude
· Own transportation and valid drivers license
· Ability to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis and repeatedly
· Ability to communicate clearly and listen to instruction
· Ability to be self-reliant and comfortable in a rural and quiet setting with little to no cell reception and unreliable wifi
· Ability to trouble shoot and problem solve independently
· Ability to work weekends
· Work well as a team member and independently
Ability to know when to ask for help to ensure personal and livestock safety
Additional Desired (but not required) Qualifications
Proficient in Excel, Word and social media
· Administrative tasks such as record keeping, marketing, etc.
· Comfortable in being around animals
· Experience or strong interest in tractor driving/maintenance
· Experienced and comfortable in driving a truck with trailer
· Experienced and comfortable with power tools and light carpentry
Private housing on the farm complete with outdoor shower, kitchen, and phone.
Meat and vegetables
Monthly stipend, TBD depending on experience
Please email resume, cover letter, and two references to: email@example.com